Hair Is A Big Deal!
Since crossing over into the dark side of puberty, one of the first moves I have consistently made each time I experienced a breakup or similar life-altering event was to alter the appearance of my hair – oftentimes drastically. It was almost as though the act of changing it was a rite of passage into my new phase of life.
My hair has always been one of my most beloved and expressive creative outlets, though the motivation to experiment with it is not exclusively driven by vanity and superficial indulgences alone. As women, the appearance of our hair is often a direct reflection of our emotional state. You can gain a great deal of insight about a female and what is going on in her life, particularly a creative female, by observing the state and appearance of her hair.
Recently, I complimented a girl on her purple and lavender ombre hair, telling her it reminded me of “grape jelly with a swirl of cream.” She told me she dyed her hair to match her aura. It made me smile, for I understood completely.
When a woman finds an attentive stylist who is capable of bringing her most ambitious hair visions to life, it is almost as big of a deal as finding her soul mate. Most women are capable of being transformed from looking as though they haven’t showered in days to a top model, from a soccer mom to a trophy wife or ‘basic’ to bombshell after two hours in the right stylist’s chair.
Once Upon A Hair Dream
As big of a deal as hair is, I’m rarely committed to a certain “look” for long. I often find myself gravitating back to the dark side after every change, however I always grow restless and bored yet again. As important of a role as hair color removers have in terms of allowing one to change their hair color often, they are only able to take you so far. I am always hunting for anything to further nurture and promote my lack of hair color commitment. Therefore, when I encountered the wonder of Olaplex, my heart nearly stopped for a moment.
When my stylist posted a “before and after” picture showcasing the transformative results from his first attempt at using the product, I immediately stood at attention and was nearly saluting. Within 24 hours, I had an appointment booked, along with a world of knowledge. I scoured the internet for an entire day in an attempt to absorb as much information about the service as I possibly could.
The Hair ‘Mission Impossible’ Made Possible
As many of my faithful readers are already aware, I am in a constant state of research about new products and methods. I am not interested in simply discussing another person’s experience with a product, simply discussing reviews I’ve read about a product or solely documenting my experiences alone. I actually want to offer as much information as I possibly can. I want to be the investigator, the guinea pig and the reporter all at the same time. I enjoy the investigative aspect of what I do and, truly, if I cannot offer a well-rounded source of information, then what would be the point?
While conducting research, I read the following claims online :
“Olaplex multiplies and perfects the bonds of the hair…”
“Stylists, tell your clients that gone are the days of worrying about hair breakage!”
“Olaplex is a game-changer…”
“This product is unbelievable!”
“Add Olaplex to your bleaching mixture, and never break hair again!”
“Treat with Olaplex before a Brazilian Blowout, and achieve even better results!”
“You can now take your clients blonder without any risk of damage…”
What if there are no longer limitations to what can be done to hair in one day, I thought. Are these accounts just silly, exaggerated anecdotes? But, then again, what if this product becomes the most magnificent enabler of my hair exploration addiction to date?
I was so excited, I was nearly sweating.
Upon arriving to an appointment with my stylist, I wasn’t anticipating a miracle. I embarked on the venture with the understanding that Rome was not built in a day. I had no desire to go to the extremes of being blonde again, but knew I wanted to be at least a couple of levels lighter. My hair was black and although I love dark hair, I was bored again. The problem was, though, underneath those layers of black dye were also layers of bleach. (As I stated previously, I’m not exactly the most loyal girlfriend to my hair experiments.)
In terms of hair color, I’ve begun to wonder if I’m capable of monogamy. My hair had been dyed black, then highlighted, then dyed black, then ombre’d and then finally dyed black yet again… all in less than one year’s time. My hair is strong, but it is also long and I was adamant about keeping it that way.
Chase, my exceptionally talented stylist, bleached 60 to 70 percent of my head, with the addition of Olaplex incorporated into the bleach mixture, without the use of any color removers. The end result was a soft, shiny mane of hair, two to three levels lighter, with absolutely zero trace of any further breakage. As I was leaving my appointment, he gave me a bottle to use at home as a pre-shampoo treatment on a weekly basis. Since my appointment, I have experienced an increase in the improvement of my hair’s luster, texture and shine with the use of this product.
With Olaplex, What Can You Expect?
It May Blow Your Mind, But Manage Your “Olaplexations”
In my unprofessional yet thoroughly informed, always skeptical and slightly neurotic opinion, below are six tips I suggest you keep in mind if you find yourself interested in an Olaplex service:
1) Select a stylist who knows what he/she is doing. Make sure they are knowledgable and informed. This is a phenomenal product, but must be in the right hands for optimal results.
2) If your hair is already damaged/overprocessed and you wish to bleach, ask your stylist about treating your hair with Olaplex first. From what I have read on several stylist forums, adding Olaplex to a bleach mixture alone may not be sufficient.
3) Don’t be completely unrealistic. You can certainly push the limit and go lighter in a shorter time period than ever before, however your hair still has the potential to break. It won’t break as easily or nearly as much, but from my hours upon hours of research, the hair is still capable of breaking somewhat.
4) If you are bleaching, expect to be at the salon for a longer period of time than you have prior. Adding Olaplex to a bleach mixture will slow the processing time, however the peace of mind and results are worth it. Be patient.
5) Understand that this product is still new, and stylists are continuing to experiment with it as well as find new methods for using it. Many salons have ordered it, and remain on a waiting list for it. This is presently the most “buzzed about” product among stylists, yet many stylists have not had the opportunity to try it!
6) Your stylist will give you a product to take home with you and apply to your hair once per week. Use it. If your hair is damaged, apply two layers as directed. It works, and is a key component in the process of achieving optimal results.
The Olaplex Backstory
If you are interested in the backstory and science behind this gem of a product, as I was, I have offered a few links below to inform you: